Monday, February 5, 2007

A Chair from the Garbage


I finally got my pad set up the way I want it. I am sure other things will come along during the next few months and adjustments will be made, but two months and a few days into the process and I am happy with the results.

While watching the SuperBowl last night I think I had a few too many Gatorades. I say this because I ended up going to the outhouse around five times during the night. Each time I went out I passed the garbage next to the road. Normally, this is nothing worth noting, yet last night there was three damaged office chairs sitting in the dirt next to the dumpsters. The second time I went out I casually examined the chairs and observed other than dirt and broken wheels, the chairs actually looked quite nice. The fourth time out, I decided to put two of the chairs in the vehicle with a plan to take them to my trailer later in the morning. I was sure I could fix at least one of them to be used with my desk in the trailer.

This morning, I drove the vehicle, with the chairs, to my trailer. After unloading them and putting them outside the doors, I quickly got to work on cleaning the most sturdy one. About 20 minutes later, I had a chair I felt I could take into the trailer. Sure enough, there was enough room behind the desk and the chair has found a home. I felt good, salvaging through the trash, saving a few dollars, and using equipment that was headed to the dump. Well, I don’t know where the trash actually goes, or if there is a process that exists where people screen the trash for salvageable items. Either way, I have one nice chair in my room (I sit in it as I type this blog entry) and another outside. I think I am going to sit in that one when I get done with my shift. Kind of like Alan Shore and Denny Crane on Boston Legal...without the cigars. Denny Crane.

3 comments:

katie said...

Adam I think you are turning into my dad....

Anonymous said...

Adam,
You need another picture on your blog where you are smiling! :) You look so sad in this picture - of course I guess there is not a whole lot to smile about considering where you are right now.
Neat blogs and, as always, thanks for sharing!
r/
JJ

Anonymous said...

You are funny- I have about 400 of those broken chairs waiting for you at my work if you need a job when you get back - love you m&M