Saturday, June 30, 2007

Cajin Food in Baghdad

I walked up to the main line in the dining facility last night and looked over the selections. Tuna casserole...no thanks, not sure how long they had been trying to get the troops to eat that. Next to that was a tray of steaming white rice. Sounds great. I enjoy eating rice with anything. The tray next to the rice was labeled CAJIN LINKS. It appeared to be full of thin, dark, hot dog looking things covered in sliced peppers.

I had never seen a cajin link let alone eaten one. I even spent a few weeks in Louisiana assisting with the Hurricane Katrina/Rita cleanup. Why not? The worst that could come of it would be a night in the port-a-john. I took my chances and had the server put one on top of the rice in my tray.

It wasn't too bad. Actually complimented the rice, though is was much more spicy hot than I was expecting. I think I might eat another one if my other option is tuna casserole. Most of the contractors that serve the food are from India/Nepal/Bangladesh. I am not sure who makes the signs, but I am sure he meant Cajun.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Good to hear from you and that you are enjoying the Army Combat cuisine. I dont think I will ever miss the fried EVERYTHING....onion rings, pizza, french fries, egg rolls...and all in the same meal...yuck....I do miss food being free...but hey....homeowners cant be too picky. How much time you got left? Cant wait to have your happy ass back home...so I can whoop you on the PT test AGAIN....Stay safe...
Elphick

Anonymous said...

You know you really should be a writer - may want 2 forget the Law School idea - I would buy your books. Watch out for the heartburn that cajun stuff can be a killer. LUVS M&M

Anonymous said...

I would also buy your books, but I think you will be a excellent Lawyer. luv kas

Anonymous said...

Hey, its Elphick again....

I think we are all getting bored waiting for another entry....

C'mon dude....break the news about your promotion....jeezzzz

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jason...where are you? Captain Kolowich! You are the best....

bb