Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Pair of Boots



I finally tossed out my first pair of boots. They have served me well the past 10 months. I had been wearing them ever since I started wearing the Army Combat Uniform. I think I bought my first set in the summer of 2005. I would only wear them for about 20 hours a month. Starting with the mobilization, I was wearing them about 18 hours a day. I didn't really see any wear and tear until we got out this way. The dust is everywhere and it does a number on the boots, as well as the everything else. I joked around that this pair was headed straight to my presidential library. I think that joke gave one of the ambitious guys I work with an idea for a display at his presidential library (he is serious).

One of the most annoying things about army life was the whole idea of polishing your boots. That just drove me nuts. Again, as a part timer, I didn't have to wear the uniform every day, but when I would, I really didn't enjoy the whole part of shining the black boots. You show up to drill, go out in the field, and the next thing you know, those boots you just polished are dirty again. Never made sense to me. Didn't like doing it. I planned to have a couple of kids so that I could make them polish my boots as one of their chores. The Army changed that plan with the adoption of the desert boot full time. I really enjoy wearing the desert boot. I am still going to have kids. They can mow the lawn or take out the trash.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your kids are going to polish a lot more than your boots! Where's th moustache - you reminded me of old Adolf. Your pictures look great-so hope U R feeling as good as U look. Loves and prayers M&M