Monday, September 24, 2007

Flat Stanley in Baghdad

Over the past three weeks I had the privilege to carry Flat Stanley around and take pictures of him visiting this part of the world. A nephew sent him over in an envelope with a request for a some pictures for a school project. I believe each kid in the class made a Flat Stanley and sent them to a friend or relative with the same request. My nephew did a great job on the camouflage pattern. Flat Stanley fit in with the rest of the troops.

I took him around for a while, but couldn't find any good places to take a picture of him. Mostly concrete and parking lots with a lot of dust.

I found an opportunity though when a tour of one of Saddam's palaces was announced. We went on the tour and I took a picture of him from the roof. Good thing I had a water bottle and a rubber band handy. I almost lost him to the wind.

I am not the best photographer, but I tried. The tour was neat, but I found it to be factually inaccurate.

I sent him back a couple of days ago. I hope he made it.

3 comments:

Carly said...

That's so cool! My kids are going to love seeing that, they love Flat Stanley!

Anonymous said...

Dear CPT K - we had never seen Flat Stanley before - must be too old - You are such a special Uncle and that classroom will be lucky to have your pictures - thanks for sharing- M&M

Dana said...

We got to take Flat Stanely around Seoul last year-twice! He sure does get around!

Though we haven't written in quite some time, we do think about you (and Katie) frequently. We hope that your remaining deployment time goes by quickly and unevenfully.

Please pass on our greetings to Katie as well.

Thoughts and prayers...
~Dana (and Tyler)